Monday, August 23, 2010

Synopsis

The following synopsis will discuss the technologies that I have investigated and how these ICT’s can be incorporated into classroom instruction to transform, facilitate, support and enhance the learning of all students. This synopsis focuses on four tools that I closely engaged with and reflected upon in relation to my own ICT learning journey.

Tool One: Learning Management Systems
After exploring many Learning Management System tools such as Moodle, I strongly feel as though Moodle is an effective, free, user friendly virtual learning environment available to users. In my blog posting about Moodle LMS , I discussed ideas as to how to use Moodle in the classroom (also posting a YouTube clip), showing why it is an effective and an interactive ICT for learners, and also created a SWOT analysis on the tool. McInerney & McInerney (2006, p. 49) discuss Piaget’s theory and states that he strongly believes “cooperative interaction and concrete experience are essential elements in a child’s learning. Children need to be actively engaged in the content to be learnt”. This theory emphasises the importance for children to be highly engaged in hands on materials to effectively learn, which is what Moodle provides. When reflecting on my own experiences with Moodle, I feel it provides 21st Century learners with many opportunities that lead their individual learning journey to success. Students are able to access Moodle from their home in which they can engage with extension activities, parents can keep up-to-date with their child’s school progression and teachers can provide their learners with engaging data relating to their learning. After reading a peers post about Learning Management System T.H, LMS, it encouraged me to brainstorm many ideas towards implementing this tool into the classroom environment. I reflected on my own personal blog about Learning Management Systems with the brainstormed list and will use my suggestions in my future classroom. In relation to the Dimensions of Learning Manual, Marzano & Pickering (2006) believe “when student’s attitudes and perceptions are positive, learning is enhanced”. From my own experience, I have seen students have a positive and enthusiastic attitude when learning with Moodle which provides an enhanced learning environment. Being a user of Moodle myself, I encourage teachers to use this engaging and beneficial tool as there are many ways (listed on my blog and more) in which this tool can be used in the classroom.

Tool Two: Windows Movie Maker
Windows Movie Maker is a tool where you can drag images and elements to make a movie. As I stated in my blog post on Windows Movie Maker Windows Movie Maker, there are many creative uses that movie maker can be used for in the classroom. In relation to the Blooms Taxonomy, using Windows Movie Maker, students are synthesising. As sited in Frengenheim (2006) ‘this is where students are designing, creating and inventing’. I feel this creative and engaging tool is appropriate for K-12 and I have previously brainstormed my own ideas drawn from section 4 of week five’s reading; Student’s in the Director’s Seat by Schuck & Kearney on my professional blog. After viewing samples of still imaged movies made on Windows Movie Maker in a lecture, it came to my surprise that it can be effective when completed as a whole class activity, as well as in groups or individual tasks. I feel this tool can impact constructively on my future students as it allows them to be creative learners while using a stimulating technological tool. As I reflected and looked back on my experience over the years with Windows Movie Maker in my blog, Windows Movie Maker I feel this tool has impacted positively on my own personal attitude towards technology as it is so user friendly and easy to navigate your way around. After engaging in conversation with a fellow peer on her blog Windows Movie Maker I thought of more ways to use this tool to stimulate thinking and to discover your learners prior knowledge. As I reflected on this conversation, I encourage future learning managers to use this tool to enhance and embrace creativity in their classroom. As I decided to use it more, I added a YouTube clip to my blog which is a year 5 Science project that I found to be an effective and creative example when using Windows Movie MakerWindows Movie Maker.

Tool Three: Google Earth
The State of Queensland (Department of Education and Training, 2004) states “higher order thinking requires students to combine facts and ideas in order to synthesis, generalise, explain, hypothesis or arrive at some sort of conclusion or interpretation”. Google Earth provides learners with the opportunity to use higher-order thinking as they combine their facts and ideas and explore the world in any context. Reflecting on my own experience with Google Earth in the younger years, I feel that it has a relevant connection to the key learning areas of; Science, SOSE and Mathematics. In my professional blog Google Earth I have placed an example of a class using Google Earth to view missions. This short clip made me feel passionate and opened my mind up to the many opportunities that this tool creates as discussed in my blog and in the comments on my blog. A fellow peer posted on my blog and said that she has not yet seen Google Earth put to use in the classroom. This encouraged me to discuss with teachers the many ways to imbed this tool into classroom instruction. Before engaging with this tool, I never realised its full potential that allows students to use their higher order thinking. I will promote a futures orientated approach towards learning by using Google Earth in my future classroom.

Tool Four: Concept Mapping

Concept Mapping is a graphic organiser that is used to brainstorm and organise information on any topic. After creating my own concept map and viewing my fellow peers, I came to the conclusion that this tool can be incorporated into any lesson or simply be used as a class, group or individual brainstorming tool. As I reflect on my blog about concept maps Concept Mapping and the comments left by followers, I can see the different opportunities that this tool creates for both students and teachers. As I engaged in conversations with other early childhood students, we decided that for the younger students it would be a great tool to use on a smart board as a whole class activity. As I engaged more with this tool I discussed on a peers blog Concept Maps that it would be effective if modelled first, and students practiced building the skills before it is set as an individual task. As I relate this tool to the Engagement theory by Greg Kearsley & Ben Shneiderman, I discussed in my blog Concept Mapping that this tool allows students to be meaningfully engaged in learning activities through interaction with their peers, technology and worthwhile tasks. Kearsley & Shneiderman (1999) believe “technology can facilitate engagement in ways which are difficult to achieve otherwise”. When brainstorming or organising information, concept maps would facilitate engagement from students rather than an individually set task with a worksheet would. After engaging personally with this tool and creating my own concept map, I believe this tool can enhance students learning as it is a useful, online graphic organiser for students to work with to display and organise their ideas and information.

After exploring many tools that promote ICT’s into classroom instruction, it is evident that the above four tools create an engaging and interactive learning environment. Brady (2006) suggests that “technology is more a resource rather than a strategy, the extent of teacher collaboration and the quality of scaffolding depends upon how the students use the technology to learn”. Such tools are engaging; however it is up to the teacher to play an active role in providing meaningful learning experiences that imbed ICT’s into it. Looking back over my experience with ICT’s over the past 8 weeks I can now confidently say that I feel enthusiastic about imbedding ICT’s into my future classroom.









Reference List

Frangenheim, E. (2006). Reflections on classroom thinking strategies (9th ed.). NSW, Australia: Robin Educational Publishing

Kearsley, G,. & Shneiderman, B. (1999). Engagement Theory: A framework for teachnology based teaching and learning. Retrieved from http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm

Brady, L. (2006). Collaborative Learning in Action. Frenchs Forest, NSW: Pearson Education Australia

Marzano, R.J., & Pickering, D.J. (2006). Dimensions of Learning: Teachers Manual (2nd ed.). Heatherton, NSW: Hawker Brownlow Education

McInerney, D.M., & McInerney, V. (2006). Educational Psychology: Constructing Learning (4th ed.). Frenchs Forest, NSW: Pearson Education Australia

The State of Queensland (Department of Education and Training, 2004). Higher Order Thinking: Are students using higher order thinking within a critical framework?. Retrieved from http://education.qld.gov.au/corporate/newbasics/html/pedagogies/intellect/int1a.html

No comments:

Post a Comment