Sunday, July 18, 2010

Powerpoint


Hi All!
I am about to talk about my good old friend- Mr PowerPoint! He is fantastic, when used appropriatly, the power point can be used for many uses. I have used power point to run Drama lessons, Art lessons and even Maths! Children love to see the big screen slide show, however, when teachers think that just using a slide show can tune your class in for 30 minuets, they are wrong! Teachers need to find appropriate uses for power point and not over use it. It is a great tool to use when explicit teaching is taking place (10-12 mins) or to give examples to students or to even set as an assignment task for students.
I have enjoyed using power point during university and will continue to use it in school when it is appropriate.
'The uses of power point seem to be endless. Almost any presentation can be enhanced through visual and sound effects, and this application has become the standard tool to do so. Unfortunatly it is missused and almost everyone at some stage in their life has experienced the dreded "death by powerpoint" - WikiAnswers.com

1 comment:

  1. Hello Renee,
    I like how you have pointed out that teacher's need to be mindful of how they use PowerPoint, and for how long! This is a vital point. In my post I have discussed how it should be used as a teaching and learning aid, not as the be all and end all.
    I am having trouble thinking of some weaknesses of using PowerPoint in the classroom...can you think of any? Maybe there aren't any?!

    ReplyDelete